Just the World’s Best Lasagna recipe. The ultimate Italian comfort food with layers of pasta, hearty meat cause, creamy ricotta cheese and gooey mozzarella
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- two 6 ounce cans tomato paste
- two 6.5 ounce cans canned tomato sauce (or one 15 oz. can)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds (optional)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 12 lasagna noodles, regular or no cook. I usually use no cook noodles.
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until cooked through and browned.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water, and stir everything together.
- Add sugar, basil, fennel seeds (if using), Italian seasoning, 2 teaspoons salt, pepper, and 2 Tablespoons parsley, and stir to combine.
- Simmer, covered, for at least 1½ hours, stirring occasionally. I usually try to simmer for as long as possible.
- If using regular lasagna noodles, cook according to package instructions and drain.
- In a bowl, stir together ricotta cheese, egg, remaining parsley, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- To layer the lasagna, spread 1½ cups of the sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Arrange a single layer of noodles over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with ¼ cup Parmesan cheese.
- Spoon another 1½ cups meat sauce over the cheese.
- Add another layer of noodles, the rest of the ricotta mixture, half of the remaining mozzarella, and another 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Add another layer of 1 1/2 cups of sauce and a final layer of noodles.
- Top with another 1 1/2 cups sauce and the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes.
- Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Calories: 449kcal
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 1639mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 31g
- Cholesterol: 98mg
Keywords: world’s best lasagna