Creamy Bacon Mushroom Thyme Chicken is honestly one of the best skillet meals you will ever make! Tender chicken with a creamy sauce with bacon, mushroom, and thyme. The flavor is out of this world!
You guys. I have made a few really really good skillet chicken meals in my day. They are getting some serious rave reviews. This creamy tuscan garlic chicken or this creamy chicken marsala are just a few of the top five star recipes here on the blog. But this recipe right here is a MUST make!Print
Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mushroom Chicken & Bacon is packed full of flavour for an easy, weeknight dinner the whole family will love
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 6 chicken thighs (bone-in, skin-on or off)
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
FOR THE CREAM SAUCE:
- 1 cup heavy cream (OR half and half)*
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 7 ounces (200 g) diced bacon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 14 ounces (400 g) sliced brown mushrooms (Cremini)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Salt, only if needed to your taste
- Extra chopped fresh parsley to garnish
- Fresh shaved or grated parmesan to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Arrange chicken on a plate. Combine together the olive oil, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper in a jug. Rub the oil mixture over the chicken to completely coat.
- Heat a large oevn proof pan or skillet over medium high heat. Sear the chicken, skin-side down first, until skin is crisp and golden brown. Rotate and sear the other side (about 2-3 minutes per side).
- Transfer to oven and roast until completely cooked through, about 25-30 minutes.
- Once chicken is done, remove from skillet; set aside. Pour out HALF of the chicken juices left in the pan.
- Using the same skillet the chicken was in, fry the garlic in the reserved chicken juices over medium heat, stirring frequently until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the bacon and fry until just beginning to crisp. Add in the mushrooms and cook until mushrooms begin to soften.
- Pour in the cream, chicken broth and Parmesan. Let simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Season with pepper. Taste first before adding in any extra salt, as the bacon will add the salt.
- Add the chicken back into the pan; allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes in the cream to take on the flavours.
- Garnish with parsley and shaved or grated parmesan, if desired. Serve over rice, pasta, or steamed/grilled vegetables.
- Garnish with parsley and shaved or grated parmesan, if desired. Serve over rice, pasta, or steamed/grilled vegetables
- If using cream: Thickened cream, heavy cream, light or reduced fat cooking cream are all fine to use. If you prefer a thicker sauce, whisk together 1 level teaspoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon cream until lump free and well blended. Add the mixture into the cream sauce, while stirring continuously, until thickened.
- If using half and half: Bring to a gentle simmer; whisk 2 teaspoons of cornstarch into 1-2 tablespoons of *extra* half and half; pour cornstarch mixture into the centre of the pan; stir continuously until the sauce thickens and becomes a ‘cream’.Nutrition facts are calculated based on skin-on, bone in thighs, and heavy cream.
- Calories: 524kcal
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 438mg
- Fat: 34g
- Saturated Fat: 11g