This Italian Chopped Salad rivals any Italian restaurant chopped salad there is. It’s a busy salad, loaded with a variety of ingredients to hold your attention. The Italian vinaigrette makes this salad completely addicting!
This chopped Italian salad is a quintessential Italian chopped salad that’s loaded with flavor and a delicious combo of ingredients. This is the best chopped salad to serve with any Italian dish, grilled chicken or salmon, yet its filling enough to be a meal on its own. Perfect for warm summer nights, backyard barbecues and potlucks.
This Italian Chopped Salad is awesome! Make it! You’ll love it!
An Italian salad loaded with fresh goodness, plus salami, provolone, pepperoncini, and olives. It’s light, yet hearty, and extra flavorful with a zippy Italian vinaigrette!
- 2 large heads romaine lettuce
- 1/2 of a medium red onion, peeled and then sliced into very thin rings – I like to use a mandoline for quick, easy, uniform slices
- 1/2 c. sliced pepperoncini rings
- 1/2 c. sliced black olives
- 1/2 lb. provolone, sliced 1/8″ thick and then cut into 1/4″ ribbons
- 1/2 lb. good quality salami, sliced 1/8″ thick and then cut into 1/4″ ribbons
- 12 oz. cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- freshly ground black pepper
- kosher salt, if needed
- Italian Vinaigrette
- For the lettuce, I like pieces that are manageable bite-wise. I don’t want to also need a knife to eat my salad! So I first cut the romaine vertically two or three times, from the root end (don’t cut all the way through the root, to keep the head intact) to the tips of the leaves. Then I make cuts crosswise, into 1/2″ to 3/4″ ribbons. Discard the root end.
- To assemble the salad: In a large bowl (my favorite salad bowl is a large stainless steel one), gently fold together red onion, pepperoncini, black olives, provolone, and salami. Drizzle about 1/2 cup of the Italian Vinaigrette over these ingredients, and then gently fold again.
- Add prepared lettuce and tomatoes, gently folding to incorporate. Taste for seasoning and add kosher salt and/or more of the vinaigrette, if desired. Sprinkle freshly ground black pepper over the top and serve immediately.
To prepare in advance:
Up to a day or two ahead of time, prepare Italian Vinaigrette and store in the refrigerator.
Up to a few hours ahead of time, prep all Italian Chopped Salad ingredients. Store lettuce and sliced tomatoes in their own separate covered containers in the refrigerator. Store red onion, pepperoncini, black olives, provolone, and salami together in a covered container in the refrigerator.
When ready to serve, assemble salad as directed in the Instructions above.