One pan is all you’ll need for this hearty supper! It’s packed with everything you would find in your favorite cabbage roll recipe: savory meat, rice, crisp-tender cabbage, and tangy tomato sauce.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 tsp creole seasoning
- 3 large handfuls of roughly chopped cabbage
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups of water (I just use the tomato sauce can twice)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used Colby Jack)
- Add ground beef to large sauce pan (lid will be needed). Season ground beef with about 1 tsp of creole seasoning and brown ground beef. Add onions to cook while beef browns. Cook until onions are mostly clear. Drain off grease.
- Once onions are clear, add rice, cabbage, tomato sauce, 2 cups of water (or use tomato sauce cans) and diced tomatoes. Stir.
- Let it come to a boil and then reduce heat to medium low and cover to simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes or until rice is done and cabbage is soft. Do not lift lid before 20 minutes to make sure rice cooks well.
- Once cooked, top with cheese and cover with lid to melt a few minutes.
You can use a can of Rotel instead of diced tomatoes if you prefer spicy food.